Food Strike in North Carolina
I would like to notify you all that the comrades and myself (about 10 or 15 of us) are going on an indefinite food strike until our demands are met. It will begin on December 1 and the demands are based on conditions at the institution that are unequal to others, inhumane and macabre. Some of the major demands are:
- Being able to recreate (on exercise hour) without full restraints
- Removal of the metal covering from all segregation windows
- Placement of desk, chair and hygiene shelf back in the rooms
- Adequate food and full portions on food trays
- End of censorship, bans and/or dis-approvals of reading/study material which do not violate prison rules
Most of our demand are for segregated prisoners who suffer greatly in the facility. We have also organized a call-in and letter writing campaign on December 1 and after in response to these conditions we're fighting. Our parents, friends and comrades will be participating. We are learning from our Pelican Bay and Georgia comrades, even though our strike is on a smaller scale. We still need to learn from the experiences of our comrades to eliminate mistakes.
The information for calling in and letter writing is below.
Superintendent Lance Corponing
Assistant Superintendent Larry Williams
Address: Foothills CI - 3720
5150 Western Ave.
Morganton, NC 28655