ULK 78: MIM(Prisons) Update
The second annual Fourth of You-Lie fundraiser just wrapped up successfully. Just two issues ago we published a detailed update on our financial contributions with a graph for 2021. For the first two quarters of 2022 we’ve had more contributors and more money donated than any quarter in 2021. This steady increase in donations is great for our work and a great sign of our growing mass base.
We did not see a surge of donations around July 4th, but we have seen sustained contributions at a higher level since we began promoting the fundraiser. Steady is good. The Fourth of You-Lie fundraiser did bring in some generous donations from the outside, from at least one supporter.
For those that don’t know, we ask that all comrades in prison who can send in at least 7 stamps per year to cover your subscription to Under Lock & Key. Our costs may increase this winter though, we will keep you updated.
For outside supporters in particular, we have begun fundraising for legal fees to fight censorship in Texas. Please send a note or email us to let us know you are donating money for this purpose.
While our finances look sustainable, we remain in a deficit with comrade time. We will be continuing to shift tasks in the coming months to adjust for changes in support from outside comrades. Much appreciation to our new comrade who did much of the transcribing work for this issue! A few things that we continue to be behind on include:
- intro study group responses are going out months later than they should be
- advanced study group through the University of Maoist Thought continue to be unavailable going on a couple years now
- while we’ve been stepping up our efforts to combat the rash of recent censorship, we are not appealing all instances or taking them further
- the Texas Pack has not been updated since 2020 and there are no plans to update it
- the zine Power 2 New Afrika has not yet been printed, but should be soon
- ULK continues to come out every 3 months instead of every 2 as it used to, or every month as we would like
The above list is to let our comrades inside know what to expect, and a call for support from people on the outside.