- U.$. Out of Africa! Shut Down AFRICOM! (2/01/2019)
- Build a United Front for Peace in Prisons (1/17/2019)
- We Demand Our Grievances are Addressed in Texas (1/08/2019)
- Agreement to End Hostilities (11/14/2018)
- We Demand out Grievances are Addressed in Michigan (9/11/2018)
- Building the UFPP through Missouri Protests
- USW Rallies 100s of Prisoners Against Africom in a Couple Weeks
- Political Preference for Segregated Housing
- Showing Unity in F.A.T. Recruiting
- Organize with Love for the People
We Demand Our Grievances are Addressed!initiated in December 2015
updated on July 23, 2018
Where state-specific campaigns have been developed for this country-wide campaign, see their individual links from our campaigns page. If you are experiencing grievance problems at your facility, but a state-specific petition hasn't been developed yet, you can use this petition. The country-wide petition is not as detailed as the state-specific petitions, so that petition should be preferred if it is available.
If state-specific grievance petitions fail, there is a federal-level grievance petition to take the appeal further.
Background on this campaign, from a comrade in California:
"I have sent MIM(Prisons) a letter of grievance for use by CDCR prisoners. Its purpose is to petition the Director of Corrections to investigate the purposeful failure of the 602 procedure [California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation grievance process] within CSP-LAC. This is something somebody put together for the general population here on C-yard. It is our intention to flood the Director's office with these petitions in hopes that it will shed some light onto the illegal acts in which these pigs are willing participants. We are being forced to file these petitions due to the unfortunate fact that the vast majority of our 602s are not being filed or properly heard.
"The idea is to distribute this petition to all CDCR facilities and to have as many people sign and mail the petition to the Director's office as possible. Once all parties receive their responses concerning the petition, all responses along with contradictory paperwork should be sent to MIM(Prisons), the Prison Law Office (which is specific to CA), the Office of Internal Affairs, etc. Our goal is to expose CDCR, its administration, and facilities as tools of repression and the lengths that they will go to to cover their crimes."
Prisoners are being recruited to lead this campaign where they are being held. Supporters of prisoners can join this campaign by printing out the petition and sending it to their family members, loved ones, and comrades inside. They can also send letters on behalf of prisoners to the addresses listed.
Sending in one petition to the Inspector General won't get results, but getting multiple people to send out the petition will not only amplify the problem, it will also bring those prisoners together around a common goal. Use this campaign to build unity behind bars.
Spread This Campaign!
A step up from using this generic country-wide petition is to modify one of the state-specific petitions to work in the jurisdiction where you're held. Using one of the state-specific petitions as a format, rewrite the quotations and citations included on it. If you do this research and send us what needs to be rewritten for your particular state, we will gladly send an edited, accurate copy to other USW and Legal Clinic folks in your state.
You will need to research who to CC: (carbon copy) the letter to for your particular state. The U.$. Department of Justice and Office of Inspector General are the same for all U.$. prisons, but your state's ombudsman and internal affairs officers will be different. The Prison Law Office is a non-profit organization that provides legal support to prisoners facing civil rights abuses, but it is particular to California. If you know of an organization in your state that is similar to this, they should be included on your petition.
Updates/Reports from Inside
- Update on Federal DOJ petition responses (July 2018)
- Downloadable Grievance Petition - Federal Appeal (May 2018)
- Denial of education, failure of grievance system (May 2017)
- Ad-Seg, Repression at Jessup for Demanding Basic Rights (May 2017)
- Potential Legal Argument for VA Grievance Battle (February 2017)
- Victory in Colorado Womyn's Prison Fight for Rec (January 2017)
- Prisoners Unite Against Suppression of VA DOC Grievance Procedure (September 2016)
- Missouri Abuse Denied Grievance Process (May 2016)
- Exhausting Grievances for PLRA (March 2016)
- Downloadable Grievance Petition, Country-wide (December 2015)