Fight Oppression at Scotland Correctional Institution
This is a cry out for help from the brothers in the struggle at the confinement of Scotland Correctional Institution located in Laurinburg, NC under the ruler and dictatorship of Karen Stanback, Asst. Superintendent of Security. It grieves my heart to know and witness an African American woman, apply rules of oppression to camp populated by 80% minority races. Actions of oppression ordered by K. Stanback are:
- To ban all Under Lock & Key publications
- No state or local newspapers
- No shirt jackets worn in the dinner hall, school, or any religious programs (no matter what the temp is)
- No showering from 6pm until 9pm (with a population of 1500 prisoners)
- No jobs for close custody prisoners once they lose their assigned job. (All jobs are then referred to medium custody prisoners)
- Confining over 145 prisoners in one unit called Green D,E,F or "Gangland". This is where all the gangs are housed at, mixed together, and not giving any opportunity for regular programs or employment like the regular population.
- Only 1 hour of recreation. Without proper exercise, fresh air, and movement an individual develops a mentality like a caged in animal.
She and the admins here have created a very hostile environment and seem to enjoy it.
Brothers and sisters please! This is our cry for relief the hammer of oppression being applied to us at Scotland CI under the watch of K. Stanback. Please contact the appropriate resources to aid us in our struggle.
MIM(Prisons) responds: We support this comrade's call for prisoners to stand up against oppression. This prisoner and others are leading the struggle at Scotland and they provide an example to prisoners across the the criminal injustice system who are facing similar conditions.